I think that Twinkies were meant to be Minion cupcakes… truly this makes for the Twinkies finest hour!
I thought I would share a quick post about a Despicable Me birthday cake and minion cupcakes that I recently made. Not a lot of narrative today, I’ll let the cute little minions do all the talking!
A quick overview on what I made…
For the Cupcakes:
- I used Twinkies that I briefly refrigerated and cut in half for my little minions.
- To create the smiles and to stick on the Wilton eyes, I used some store bought black frosting (the kind that comes in a tube).
- I used brown sprinkles to do the hair… I think next time I might try thin black licorice as I think it will be much easier to work with!
- Regular American frosting colored to match the minions overalls.
- I made both vanilla and chocolate cupcakes.
- There are several videos on YouTube and elsewhere that provide great tutorials on how to make the minion cupcakes.
For the cake:
- The cake is a new recipe, it’s a sour cream chocolate pound cake by Leite’s Culinaria. I did substitute the water for coffee.
- The frosting and filling is Italian meringue buttercream… An old favorite!
- I made a small batch of marshmallows and dyed them yellow and added eyes… thought they would serve as a nice accent to the cake, tie it into the Despicable Me theme. The kids loved them!
These were a lot of fun to make! If you decide to make them, I would love to see pictures of your creations!